Cytologically Yours: Unknowns: 201311: Case 4
57 year old female with hypoechoic nodule on ultrasound.
- Medullary carcinoma.
- MEN 2A and MEN 2B.
- 80-90% are sporadic
- Immunoreactivity with CEA, TTF1, calcitonin, chromogranin, synaptophysin.
- Negative immunoreactivity with thyroglobulin
- Variable cytology/histology
- Polygonal, spindled, plasmacytoid
- Intranuclear pseudoinclusions
- Usually uniform, but can have some pleomorphism
- There may be red cytoplasmic granules on DiffQuik and the chromatin is often salt and pepper
The normal fibrinogen level is 184 to 412 mg/dL.