Cytologically Yours: CoW: 20140213
The patient is a 66yo old male presenting with jaundice.
Past Medical History
- History of prostate cancer 5 years ago.
- Chronic back pain
Past Surgical History
- Prostatectomy (2009)
- Thyroidectomy (2004)
- Ultrasound of head of pancreas shows a 43mm x 23mm ill defined mass.
The differential diagnosis included pancreatic adenocarcinoma and metastatic prostate cancer.
- The radiologic differential diagnosis was between osteosarcoma and Ewing sarcma. What would be a possible diagnostic pitfall?
The confusion between osteosarcoma and Ewing may occur with the small cell variant of osteosarcoma.
- High grade sarcoma, favor osteosarcoma.
- Conventional high grade sarcoma, sclerotic type.
The experience of FNA of osteosarcoma is mainly with conventional high-grade intramedullary sarcoma and to the rare high-grade surface osteosarcoma. Smears usually contain dissociated neoplastic cells and cell clusters.