From Pathology Education Instructional Resource
- Know the basics of genetics including DNA biochemistry, cloning, gene mapping, mutations, etc.
- Be able to track Mendelian inheritance patterns.
- Understand the mechanisms of the defects and the pathogenesis of diseases caused by inborn errors of metabolism.
- Know the factors involved in disorders of multifactorial inheritance, especially environmental factors.
- Understand the cytogenetic techniques and tools used to evaluate genetic abnormalities.