Cytologically Yours: Unknowns: 201312: Case 4
From Pathology Education Instructional Resource
25 year old female. Right breast core touch prep.
- Cytology diagnosis: Benign ductal epithelial cells with lactational changes.
- Surgical diagnosis: Lactation adenoma
- The distinction between and adenoma and lactational change on cytology is extremely difficult (impossible).
- Hypercellar smears
- Loosely cohesive fragments
- Larger cells with prominent nucleoli
- Vacuolated cytoplasm
- Naked nuclei may be present in the background.
- Dirty background with inflammatory cells, macrophages, proteinaceous debris, blood
- May be initially confused with carcinoma.