Cytologically Yours: CoW: 20140227
The patient is a 74 year old female with a history of sarcoma of the right thigh and a new lung mass.
Past Medical History
- Sarcoma of thigh (3 years prior)
Past Surgical History
- Previous excision of thigh sarcoma.
- CT showed a right upper lobe low density nodule measuring 3.0 x 2.6 cm which is abutting the pleural surface.
The patient was scheduled for an endobronchial ultrasound guided fine needle aspiration biopsy.
- Positive for malignancy, favor liposarcoma.
Previous Soft Tissue Biopsy Diagnosis
- High grade pleomorphic liposarcoma.
The diagnosis of pleomorphic liposarcoma on cytology rests on the presence of highly atypical, sometimes multinucleated lipoblasts. The scalloped nucleus is an important diagnostic feature.